Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Trout Flies..SAY it isn't so!!

Trout flies.. Yes, that is right I actually tied some trout flies. First off I will say, how do you all tie this tiny things? Well I managed to figure it out..sort of. 


Here is the (short) story. The end of the month is my birthday. And for my birthday I decided to embark on an adventure. I am going to go up north to Traverse City with my sister, brother-in-law, and 2 nephews (1 almost 1 and the other almost 3). Yes, I know this is crazy talk probably for those with kids, but these are my nephews and they are everything to me. Now with that being said, of course I am fishing when I am up there. Have to unwind somehow! I am fishing with the Northern Angler (http://www.thenorthernangler.com/store/pc/home.asp) and couldn't be more excited. I first met these guys in March at the Midwest Fly Fishing expo. Bought some good stuff had some good convo and here I am scheduled to fish with them. 


SO I  begin working on a schedule for my fishing thinking I could go for carp and/or smallies. Naturally I started tying flies like a madman in preparation. The smart thing to do would be to call them first and see what they recommended to fish for. But.. I didn't. After I talked to Brian up there he mentioned our best bet during that time would be the Hex Hatch. Hex Hatch? Hmm sounds interesting.. So I look it up and I must say I am intrigued. I tell Brian, that I am up for whatever he recommends. My only request was to get me on the water and some chances at fish.  Now like a whole lot of  fly tyers I consulted "Google" and then got even crazier and went to "You Tube". Through my brief education, I learned how to tie some "hex" flies and went to work. They aren't perfect. In fact, not even close.. but here they are:










No comments:

Post a Comment